We're phonics experts, designers and tea drinkers...
Time for Phonics is a sister site of MrsMactivity.co.uk and has been created by qualified teachers and designers who are experts in providing excellent learning opportunities for children. As a year 5/6 teacher, our founder Heather moved down to a year 1 class and really struggled to teach phonics having had no prior training. She decided she wanted to reach and help other teachers in a similar position - looking for easy to understand and deliver phonics lessons that help children make progress. So, Time for Phonics was born! Since then, Time for Phonics has developed into a complete systematic, synthetic phonics programme that covers the requirements of the DfE Letters & Sounds framework.
Frequently asked questions
- Has Time for Phonics been validated? We applied for validation in late 2021 and were invited to re-apply in June 2022 once we have completed our decodable eBooks.
- How does Time for Phonics align with decodable texts? You can read more about this here. We will soon have a complete scheme of our own decodable ebooks that can also be printed.
- Is this the same site as Mrs Mactivity? No, although we are part of the same business, this is a separate website so you’d need a different login for each site.
- Does Time for Phonics offer guided reading sessions? Yes, we have now added guided reading resources, read more about that here.
- Does Time for Phonics have assessment materials? Yes, we have comprehensive assessment materials including phonics screening check preparation materials.
- Does Time for Phonics have phonics intervention sessions? Yes, we have a complete phonics intervention programme, complete with guidance.
- Do you have handwriting resources? Yes, you can find those here.
- Do you offer phonics CPD? We are currently working on a series of on-demand videos that teaching staff can access at a time to suit them, we are also working on rolling out INSET training. Find out more here.
- Can Time for Phonics be used alongside other schemes? The 2021 Reading framework recommended fidelity to one scheme to avoid confusion.
- Can I sign up as an individual? The site is aimed at schools, so we do not offer individual subscriptions.
- Does Time for Phonics take into account guidance from the 2021 Reading Framework? Yes, we have amended our lessons to reflect the guidance.
- Can I speak to another school who are using Time for Phonics? Yes, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we can let you have contact details.
What we believe
We believe that children learn best when they are given hands-on opportunities for learning that is both exciting and rigorous. Our multi-sensory phonics scheme and interactive phonics games are designed specifically to engage and teach children whilst they have fun!
What we provide
We provide everything you need to teach daily phonics sessions including: CPD videos, online phonics games, daily phonics lessons that can be downloaded or viewed online, phonics lesson presentations, phonics assessments, resources for parents and SEND children and all accompanying phonics resources.
Phonics Scheme of Work
Aligned with the Letters and Sounds framework
Fresh ideas for both new and experienced teachers.
Low prep! With mimimal additional resources needed.
Phonics assessments for each phonics phase.
Includes planning for phase 1 phonics.
Interactive Phonics Games
Phonics games from phase 2 to phase 5.
Can be played on interactive whiteboards, desktop, tablets and all mobile devices.
Can be used by children independently using their teacher's login, or as a class on the whiteboard.
Access for up to 40 staff.
Daily phonics lesson presentations that can be used either alongside or instead of the daily phonics lessons.
Flashcards, display resources, worksheets, activity booklets and more!
Letter formation and handwriting resources.
SEND and remote learning resources.
Free resources for parents
Book scheme alignment guidance
For full access to our unique games and resources
Who is it for? How does it help?
Our phonics scheme and online phonics games can be used by any school interested in a more hands-on, active approach to phonics. Suitable for both ECTs and experienced teachers looking for a simple, easy to follow scheme, with few resources to prepare. We believe that children learn best with short, sharp sessions that take into account their attention span at such a young age. We have designed our lessons to be fresh, interesting and engaging for all.
Here are some useful links to get you started